I Have Been in a Motorcycle Accident – What Should I Do?

02 Oct

I Have Been in a Motorcycle Accident – What Should I Do?

I Have Been in a Motorcycle Accident – What Should I Do?

Have you been involved in an accident* on the road on your motorcycle? While you may have been an experienced biker, being involved in such an incident can knock your confidence. Indeed, any accident on the road with another vehicle can be traumatic and leave you with bad memories, as well as physical injuries.

If you were involved in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault, one way you can recover is by seeking a compensation claim. This can compensate what you have gone through. An experienced solicitor can help you with this process.

Here are some of the steps you should take when you have been involved in a motorcycle accident.


Go to the Hospital or See a Doctor

Hopefully, you were wearing all of your protective motorcycle gear when you were out riding. But, unfortunately, you may have still sustained injuries if you were involved in a collision with another vehicle.

The first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Your health should always come first. If you have serious injuries, a trip to accident and emergency will ensure you receive the assistance you need. If you think you have minor injuries, that do not require urgent medical attention, you can make an appointment with your doctor. Remember that some injuries can take a few days to show, especially if you are in shock.


Gather Evidence at the Accident Scene

When you are in an accident, it can all seem like a blur at first. But do your best to gather all the evidence you can at the scene. This is going to help you make a compensation claim later on. For example, it is going to be helpful to note the details of the driver involved in the accident. This includes their name, address and insurance information. In addition, write down or take a photo of their vehicle registration number. Images of the scene will be helpful, including the damage to your motorbike.


Let the Gardaí Know

If your motorcycle accident was serious, it is likely that the Gardaí were called and they attended the scene. They will complete a report so that there is evidence of the accident. However, if the accident was minor, you will need to inform the Gardaí of what happened at your local station. You should do this as soon as possible so that you can give a statement about the accident.


Contact a Personal Injury Solicitor

Once you are over the initial shock of being involved in a motorcycle accident, you may start to realise the impact it has had on your life. For example, you can have repairs for your motorcycle to get it back on the road and you might have sustained serious injuries that affect you every day. If this is the case, you can contact a personal injury solicitor. They can help you submit a claim to the Injuries Board for compensation* regarding the accident that was not your fault.

*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage of any award or settlement.

Write a Reply or Comment